Wednesday, September 03, 2003

Sleeping in the Wet Spot

Elijah was potty trained in February of this year. Those of you who got the Deuce Daily probably remember the Potty Bootcamp story. Anyway, he's been generally good for the past 6 months. An occasional "oops" at night, but mostly good. Recently, he's been waiting until the absolute last second before screaming, "I have to go potty!!!" His body stiffens up and one of us has to burn rubber to grab him and literally throw him on the toilet so he does not mess himself. It's become ritual for us. We have been teaching him in recent weeks to not wait so long before he tells us. Just either go potty by yourself or tell us BEFORE it's too late. He is still struggling with that.

Usually, he wakes up once at night (between 2 and 3am) and calls me to take him potty. I don't mind because I know the alternative is him waking up in the morning soaked in pee pee. I usually don't remember taking him in the middle of the night because it's so quick and easy that I hardly wake up (neither does he).

Lately, there have been several times when he just does not wake up at night and ends up wet. He's three years old and I'm not going to sweat it much but his response to me has been interesting. These last few times, as I am changing his wet PJ's, when I ask him what happened, his says to me, "Daddy, I don't want to talk about it now." It's very cute when he says it. He uses a low voice and makes the sad face. It's almost like he feels humiliated! I just tell him, "We don't have to talk about it now sweetie. It's OK." Then I give him a hug and tell him I love him. What else can I do? I mean, if he were 6 and this was happening, I would probe further. He's only 3!!

Funny thing is that I keep picturing him at age 14 after getting a 'D' on his report card. I ask him why that happened and he says, "Dad, I don't want to talk about it right now."

No comments: