Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Barry Bonds

Well, it finally happened. Barry Bonds just broke the most hallowed record in all of sports.

As a huge baseball fan for over 30 years, I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I think Bonds is one of the absolute greatest baseball players ever. On the other hand, I do believe that he cheated along the way. Most people probably feel the same way that I do.

The only question that keeps me from completely shunning Bonds and this record is this: if everyone used steroids, was it really cheating?

I was watching live when he hit the homer and I could not help putting my personal feelings for Bonds aside when I watched a real class act - Henry Aaron - give a congradulatory message to Bonds on the jumbotron. Bonds' own comments to the fans and his family, especially his father, were heartfelt and sincere. One of the few times I've EVER heard Bonds sound sincere in his career.

One thing's for sure...the homerun record is no longer sacred. That's been shattered by this power surge baseball has seen in the last 15 or so years. Alex Rodriguez will probably break the record soon and it certainly won't last close the the 33 years that Henry Aaron held it. I still believe that the most sacred record in sports is, and always will be, Joe DiMaggio's 56 game hitting streak. I don't believe that will EVER be broken and it's already been 51 years since DiMaggio did it.

Actually, I would be MORE impressed if Bonds reaches 3,000 hits (he's 80 or so away). That's a record that I don't believe steroids could have anything to do with.

No comments: