Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Alyssa

December 29, 1995.....The Coastline.....Cherry Hill, NJ.....sometime around 9:00pm...........

I am wandering the bar as usual, as my roomate Kenny is hooking up left and right with all of the best looking women in the place. It was my duty as his friend and roomate to hit the bars on Fridays and Saturdays. The scenario was always the same; he would bring one home and I would chat on the internet all night. Sometime around 7:00am, I would hear the apartment door open and close, then peek through the blinds to watch her get in her car and drive away. Shortly thereafter, Kenny would emerge from his room and eat breakfast. He would tell me he forgot her name and I would tell him I found a cool new page on AOL to check out. Fun for me, huh?

Anyway, on this particular night, we were at the bar with my friend Evan. One one side of the bar, Evan is engaged in chat with some random woman and I am standing against the wall, sipping my vodka cranberry. Before I know it, Evan approaches me with this woman and she quicky announces herself as my friend from high school. I recognize her...it's Alyssa Rubin. I remember her because I had a massive crush on her at some point. She looked good. She's fast-talking to me about how she wants me to meet this great girl who's her best friend in the world and would I PLEASE talk to her NOW. Then she starts pulling me across the room. We stop and she proceeds to make an introduction.....

"Jordan, this is Debbie....."

I wrote Deb's phone number down on a napkin. Our first date was January 5th, 1996. We were married two years later.

Alyssa Rubin introduced us.

Two weeks ago, Alyssa passed away after suffering a massive heart attack in her home in North Carolina. It's just three weeks before our tenth wedding anniversary. She was only 40 years old.

This is one of the heaviest posts I've ever made in Jawdy's Basement. I really don't quite know what to say....

Alyssa was married shortly after her famous introduction. She married Tom Bass in a Rabbi's apartment in Cherry Hill. Deb and I were the only witnesses. Alyssa and Tom had two beautiful daughters together, Lily and Ava. Lily is Deb's god-daughter. She's eight years old now. Ava is just five.

We had Tom and Alyssa over often so the kids could play together. We called them "T&A". We had dinner parties, played Hearts into the night, celebrated New Years, etc... Lily was Elijah's first friend - she was born six weeks before him.

It's very sad that Alyssa and Deb had recently lost touch. After their move to North Carolina, she seemed to disappear from most of our lives. Some of her best friends had not heard much from her and it was not uncommon for one of us to say, "I wonder how Alyssa is doing..." It's makes it far more sad to know that Deb never had a chance to say goodbye or even catch up to someone who was really her best friend for three of the most difficult years of her life. Deb has said more than once that Alyssa "saved" her from a very dark time in the early nineties. Deb was in a very destructive relationship and Alyssa was the voice of reason. They were inseperable for three years before Alyssa introduced us.

The truth is that there would be no Jordan and Debbie. There would be no Elijah, Hannah and Sadie if Alyssa Rubin Bass had not noticed Evan in the Coastline that night. If she had not literally dragged me to where Deb was standing and so loudly introduced us....who knows where we would be today. She is the reason why our lives have travelled this road for over twelve years. And now she's gone.

I remember one special moment that occurred at our wedding. I snuck up behind Alyssa at her table and whispered in her ear that the celebration was all because of her. I thanked her for being in the right place at the right time and she said something about fate. She always had something to say about fate. She was very spiritual and she felt she had a clear vision of what the future held for everyone. Deb always believed her during the "dark days" because Alyssa insisted that she would meet someone special that would change her life and that she would be happy. She told Deb that she would have three children with this man. Deb made it through those days clinging to the hope that Alyssa's vision would be true. It was.

I'll be forever indebted to you, Alyssa. I know you are seeing this where you are right now. You were the very first regular reader of the original Deuce Daily newsletter before it became this blog. You used to e-mail me and complain when I would go too long without posting. I know you have the site bookmarked up there. When I've looked at our children these last few days, I could not help but think what life would be like if we hadn't produced them. We have you to thank for them. You were our angel. Rest in peace.



12 comments:

mizkylie said...

That post made me cry. I am so sorry for your loss. What happy memories you have of her.

Jessica said...

I'm so sorry to hear this! Even though we didn't know her, our entire BBYO family is indebted to your friend Alyssa. She sounds like she was such an amazing person, and you and Debbie have certainly paid forward the kindness and friendship she gave to you.

Anonymous said...

OMG...

The shock of it all...

My friend Alyssa is forever gone... I cannot believe it… I cannot stop crying…

I know her tremendous spirit will live on in Tom, Lily, Ava, her family and friends… all that knew her and loved her...

Very few people are ever lucky enough to have a best friend in the truest sense of the word… a friend that knows all your secrets, a friend that helped you through your darkest days... I am one of those few… I am lucky enough... I am so blessed by God to have had such a friend... Alyssa gave me hope when I had none... she was the one who carried me on the sand and left the single trail of footprints...

I do not know where I would be today had it not been for my friend… she told me I had a future, a very bright one… and she was right…She believed in me… gave me strength… gave me Jordan and my kids…

So here’s to candles, playing cards, the ouijia, green and red dots, tic tacs, the Cowboy Club, lip liner, hair dye, breast reductions, self tanning cream, singing the National Anthem in the car, Ella Fitzgerald, Harry, horrible boyfriends, amazing husbands, rediscovering each other when we were about to become mothers, birthday parties, international nights, barbecues, new year’s parties… and on and on…..

Alyssa… I am just so sorry I didn’t tell you enough how much you meant to me… how indebted I am to you… how special you are… how much I love you...

Thank you for being my angel…

Until we meet again… my treasured friend…

Candice said...

Both of your posts are beautiful (sniff). You have honored your friend, indeed, and my heart goes out to both of you. xo

Anonymous said...

The Best and most beautiful things in the world, cannot be seen-cannot be touched--cannot be heard but our felt within our hearts.

Anonymous said...

Our condolences to both of you- we will pray for Tom and the girls.

Love, Mom & Dad

Anonymous said...

Jordan, Good grief. People our age dying of this and that. It's a reminder to live li8fe fully. Laugh hard. Say, "thank you" often. Honor her by enjoying life.

Unknown said...

Deb - It jacquie, just heard today, so grateful for your post and rekindling those times when the days were the darkest - I remember your "Harry" conversations before you met "the one."

Alyssa was truly the light, thank you so much for posting this, I haven't been able to speak or get ahold of anyone yet.

Anonymous said...

Glen- I was trying to findan adress for the memorial park where my friend Alyssa was laid to rest & came across this blog site. While I don't believe I know anyone on this site let me tell you how I knew Alyssa.

She & I met back when we both were in the same 2nd grade class in school. We lived in the same neighborhood, & went to the same elementary school. She was this dark haired gal with the coolest Frito ban dee-to pencil eraser I had ever seen. I wanted that eraser & was going to stop at nothing until it was mine.So I decided to take it one fateful day , only to make our mutual friend very pissed! Well, I got in real trouble with our teacher & decided to let good old Alyssa know that now.. I to was pissed! The series of events that unfolded from that point were shall I say..less than fun for me. I quickly learned that Alyssa was not to be toiled with lightly. Strangely enough what began as a mutual distaste for eachother evolved into a beautiful long lasting friendship.
With Passover quickly approaching, reminds me of one story she wouldn't let me forget.

Years ago when it was the Jewish passover I would ask her to stop over my parents house to visit & chat. when she did, we would go into the basement so I could grab a snack that was not Kosher for Passover & offer her some. she told me she love to, but it wasn't something that she could eat for the holiday & no thanks. Not wanting be a lawbreaker on my own, I'd say "Alyssa, G-d isn't here in the basement come on".
Nothing doin' & no sense talkin'..she wouldn't bend, but would take great delight after I enjoyed myself to use that as blackmail against me if I did anything that was left of the bullseye so to speak.
The years rolled by. We would celebrate some holiday's together, talk about girls I had my eye on or boys she thought were cute. Like a typical brothers' mindset.. they were all wrong for her.

Then she met Tom Bass. I missed a couple of years speaking with her as sometimes happens & then had a chance to meet Tom. I knew pretty quickly that he was going to be really good for her. Without a doubt, he was her soulmate, able to calm her like no one else could. She was like a sister to me complete with all the joys, fights, sharing of good times & bad for a long time running. When Tom called me with the news it was like time stopped & I felt my heart break in two. I've since thought of how do I say goodbye to someone I've known for so long & been so fond of. I simply don't have an answer for that one yet, but like you hope she is in a good place & knows that she had lots of friends who thought the world of her & loved her very much.
Glen S.- Cherry Hill

Jawdy said...

JACQUI - can you leave us an e-mail to contact you? You send contact us at jawdy at comcast dot net. Good to hear from you!!

Anonymous said...

Mindy~In thinking about Alyssa all day today I decided to google her and found this blog. I have to say it gave me the good cry I needed, the laughs I missed from Alyssa as well as time to reflect on my past with her. I am Alyssa's cousin, Mindy. Alyssa and I did not really know each other until our late teenage years...but once we met we became instant friends. Our trips to the shore together, our nights out in Philly and clubbing through our teenage years are thoughts that will always make me smile. Alyssa and I had to deal with the loss together of our fathers who died 2 weeks apart, so not having her here to help me deal with losing her is especially hard for me. She was the type of person I was proud to call "my family". Alyssa and I lost touch after my wedding in 1991. It took me many years of searching to find her but I finally did and for that I am so greatful. Our families were reunited and I got to love and meet Tom, Lily and Ava as well as have my 2 children enjoy every minute spent with Alyssa. They are heart broken! I did not find out about Alyssa's heart attack until the day after she passed away. It had been about 2 weeks since I had spoken to her so you can imagine my shock when I heard the news. I, like all of you, never had the chance to say goodbye but have to believe as Alyssa always said that she is in a better place now. She was the one person I knew I could tell anything to and know she understood exactly what I meant and how I felt. She was the sister I never had. We still cant believe she is gone but we know for sure she is still with us and is probably laughing at all of us babbling over her now. My daughter, Danielle, looked at me this morning and said "I am so glad you found her or we may have never known her"! She will always be loved and greatly missed. Love and Miss you Alyssa! Mindy~ (Mark,Danielle, Courtney and Iris)

Anonymous said...

I've been really missing her lately, to read this, it made me feel great and to know how much my mom cared so much and touched so many peoples hearts, it makes me happy. Thank you for writing this! I've been really wanting to know more about her and her more stories about her! Ava and I were so young, we don't really remember a lot of things about her. So to read this and to know more about her makes me very happy! ~ Lily Bass