Thursday, May 29, 2003

Reality Bites

I had a life moment yesterday and it's lasted until today. Thanks Dad. Yesterday afternoon I was on the phone with my Dad; it must have been around 4pm. We were chit chatting about this and that and he asked why I wasn't playing softball this year. Then he said something so profound. It didn't hit me at first - it took its time sinking in. The more I thought about it, the more I realized how true it was. You see, when I started playing softball I was 17 years old. I played on my Dad's JCC team - I was the youngest player on the team by far. The average age was probably 40 or so. There were some guys who were in their 60's and some in their 20's but most were 35-45. I used to get teased all the time because I was the baby. Fast forward to 2003 and this conversation with my Dad yesterday. His comment was:

"Now you'll be at the age where you'll be the same age as the other guys."

Vomit.

Damn! My son will soon be going to the games with me on Sunday's and someday...maybe HE will be the youngest player in the league. Now, approaching age 36, I am more than DOUBLE the age I was when I was the baby. Somebody STOP THE TRAIN already!!

Enough. I am not complaining...just facing reality. Life is a moving train and you have to have your camera ready at all times so you don't miss capturing ANY of the landscape.

Oh..and by the way...I can STILL hit a softball farther than Dad. ;-)

Send me e-mail!

No comments: